Thursday, March 15, 2012

The Pain of Perseverance


Perseverance hurts.  It’s not a quality that is easily acquired.  Romans 5:3-5 tells us:  “….but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom He has given us.”  Perseverance is forged in the crucible of life’s difficulties. 

My tribulation began in January with what I thought was a pulled shoulder muscle.  Ever since, I have endured excruciating pain in my neck, shoulder and arm.  For me for now, perseverance often means just getting up each day and putting one foot in front of the other. I’ve prayed for God to take away the pain and sometimes He has.  One day the pain felt like a boa constrictor was wrapped around my upper arm crushing it.  Exhausted from weeks of little sleep, I lay down to rest and pray.  God didn’t take away the pain but gave me His strength to supernaturally bear it while experiencing His peace and rest.

Paul asked God three times to remove his “thorn in the flesh,” but God replied, “My grace is sufficient for you….” (2 Cor. 12:8-9).  Previously I had told God I didn’t want that answer; I wanted to quit hurting.  But that day, as I had a fresh encounter with the lavish grace of God, I was grateful for His words to Paul and thankful He gave me that same grace.

Like Paul, James 1:2-3 tells us of the importance of perseverance.  “Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.”As you face life’s challenges, remember God’s grace; cling to Him and learn how to press on and go through.  In the end, God has promised to mold your character to reflect His and to give you a hope that will not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment