Thursday, April 12, 2012

Let's take a trip

All aboard, folks. Take your seats, please. Before we depart for Humility, I need to warn you. This is a one-way trip and the train won’t stop until it arrives at its final destination, Glory. There will be rest stops along the way and you can hop off and turn back if you like, but I wouldn’t advise it. The towns we pass- Prideville, Arragancetown, and Full-of-Myself-Burg- aren’t nice places to visit. Oh, they look lovely from the train, but some pretty rough folks live there.

Now, the stops we will make in Humbleville, Meektown, and Hang-onto-God-for-dear-life-Burg look pretty dull by comparison.  But the kindest folks you could ever want to meet live there.  I just stopped off in Humbleville today for some rehab exercises. The instructor was kind but my face flushed red at all my missteps and I hung my head as I climbed back on the train. 

I asked God: "Am I not humble enough already?" Then I realized that Humility is not a destination. Rather, it is a state of being and one that even the godliest people cannot sustain in every area of life long-term. So, I will keep trying to humble myself before the Lord until I meet Him face to face.

As you get ready to travel to Humility, I would encourage you to meditate on these verses:  

Isaiah 66:2: “ …This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at My word.”

Matt. 11:29-30: “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

Matt. 18:4: “Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.”

No comments:

Post a Comment