Friday, November 9, 2012

Here Comes the Son

“There cannot be a dark cloud where Jesus is.”   Pastor John Prince

The other day while I was at the lake, the sky was covered with dark clouds and the wind was stirring up the lake waters. It was somewhat cool and there wasn’t even a hint of sunshine. Then suddenly, the clouds parted and the sun shone so brightly I was immediately warmed and had to relocate to the shade. The water became so still it looked like a liquid mirror and everything was quiet. Even the butterflies which I love but had not yet seen began to flutter around me.  It was as if God had torn apart those dark clouds to shine His light and love directly onto me and I felt like I was standing in a celestial spotlight.

I paused in my prayers and just enjoyed that special time with God. There are some struggles about which I’ve been praying for days to which God has simply responded  ”wait.” The break in the dark clouds did nothing to change my circumstances or lighten the cares which are weighing me down, but in that holy moment God reminded me that He can shine His grace into anything in my world and my life and it will change instantly.  He gave me a much-needed shift in focus, redirecting me back to Him, the One whose face shone like the sun (Matt. 17:2) on the mount of transfiguration which was the basis of Pastor Prince’s sermon.
The same picture of Jesus is echoed in John’s words in Revelation 1:16 where he describes Jesus’ face as “like the sun shining in all its brilliance.” When we turn our eyes toward the Son, His bright countenance will eclipse all of the dark clouds of our griefs, our pain, and our doubt. Even though it’s now fall and the weather is cooler, go out today and bask in the sun. While you’re there, bask in the Son, too!

“I believe in Christ, like I believe in the sun, not because I can see it, but by it I can see everything else.” – C. S. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment