Thursday, December 20, 2012

Out of balance


My Chinese friends emphasize balance in all things in life. Mom used to emphasize it in medical terms; in fact, one of her favorite words was homeostasis—the attempt by the body to maintain internal stability. Experts tell us how important balance is to our well-being. But despite these admonitions about balance, we’re also told the only thing constant in life is change.

In reality, the only true constant thing in life is God and I maintain He is not all about balance. At least I don’t think His love is.  The contemporary Christian group Downhere captures the essence of God’s unparalleled love in their song “How Many Kings?”

“How many kings stepped down from their thrones?
How many lords have abandoned their homes?
How many greats have become the least for me?
How many gods have poured out their hearts
To romance a world that is torn all apart?
How many fathers gave up their sons for me?
Only One did that for me…all for you, all for me.”

God’s love can’t be balanced because it is extravagant, unconditional, and incomprehensible. There is no god like ours for only our God would dream of going to such lengths just because He loves us.  So this Christmas let me encourage you to get out of balance. Not in spending. Not in eating or drinking. But in loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment