Monday, May 6, 2013

He Makes Me Sing


I remember after Momma died wondering how long it would be before I felt like laughing or singing again. I felt the same way two weeks ago when Daddy died. That may seem a strange thought, but both singing and laughing were huge parts of my relationships with my parents.  I remember hearing Momma’s beautiful soprano filling the house with music when I would come in from school in the afternoons.  And I always loved hearing Daddy’s rich bass singing in church every Sunday.

In His infinite goodness, God gave me some things to laugh about fairly quickly after He called Daddy home and much to my surprise, I felt like singing almost immediately.  Of course it is easier to do both knowing my parents are safe and whole with the Lord.  But today as we sang the old hymn “Fairest Lord Jesus,” the line “who makes the woeful heart to sing” leapt off the page at me. I realized what a gift God has given me to be able to sing so soon after Daddy’s death.  Because of His great love and mercy to us, we can sing His praises even when our hearts are broken. And for me, singing brings great healing.

Like the psalmist, I declare:  “I will sing the LORD's praise, for he has been good to me.” (Psalm 13:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment