Saturday, November 16, 2013

Why Count Your Blessings?

“Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your blessings, see what God hath done!
Count your blessings, name them one by one,
Count your many blessings, see what God hath done.”

“Count Your Blessings” was one of the many hymns Mom would sing to me when I was feeling down. It’s upbeat melody and encouraging words coaxed me to join her. And in no time, I felt better.

We should always offer thanks to God and remember His goodness, but it seems even more important when life is difficult. Focusing on God takes our minds off our pain, sadness and discouragement and lifts our spirits. Turning our thoughts to God’s blessings gives us hope and it reminds us of His faithfulness. He has provided, healed and comforted before and He will do it again. Years ago, I began praying Psalm 103:2: “Praise the LORD, my soul, and forget not all His benefits.” God has been so good to me and I want to remember as many of His blessings as I can. More importantly, though, I want to be like the one leper who out of the ten that Jesus healed came back and praised Him.

“When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings, name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.” –Johnson Oatman, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment