Sunday, August 17, 2014

Good Grief

“Don’t live as those who have no hope. All our hope is found in him.” – Trust His Heart by Newsong

This last week has been extremely challenging. One friend passed away. Another’s in the hospital at death’s door. And another, who is like my sister, is in a hospital hundreds of miles away fighting a serious infection. To make matters worse, Friday was the 6th anniversary of Mom’s homegoing. No matter how much you rejoice that a person is no longer suffering, it still hurts to lose them. And all of the sadness and suffering this week compounded those feelings of loss.

Still, in the midst of all this, I am reminded of Paul’s admonishment “don’t grieve as those who have no hope.” (1 Thess. 4:13). Notice he didn’t say, “don’t grieve.” Grief lets us know we’re compassionate and loving and like our Savior who grieved at the loss of Lazarus. While I think Jesus grieved in part for all who loved Lazarus as well as for His own loss, I think He also grieved because when He made the world, death and suffering were not a part of His plan. Isaiah refers to Jesus as a man acquainted with many sorrows. (Isaiah 53:3) And Jesus Himself promises, “blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted.” (Matt. 5:4)

So I know as I grieve today, He is grieving with me. And I know since my hope is found in Him, I will also receive the gifts of His joy and peace. And ultimately, I know there will come a day when He will wipe away every tear and none of us will ever have to grieve again. (Rev. 21:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment