Saturday, March 7, 2015

The Simple Life

“Tis a gift to be simple
Tis a gift to be free
Tis a gift to come down where we ought to be
And when we find ourselves in the place just right
Twill be in the valley of love and delight.” 

--Shaker hymn

A couple of weeks ago I stumbled onto a mash-up of two of my old-time favorite songs when I found “Over the Rainbow/ Simple Gifts” by The Piano Guys. The first song, of course, comes from the movie The Wizard of Oz. The second is a Shaker hymn which my mom and I used to sing together. The words of the hymn remind us to lead a simple life. For me, that means eliminating clutter, minimizing spending, and leaving time in a warp-speed life for rest and contemplation.

A simple life also holds the invitation for me to retain the childlike wonder God gives us to enjoy Him and His creation. To sing back to the birds who serenade me in the morning. To watch the clouds changing shapes against the backdrop of an infinite blue sky. To pause and admire the trees’ new spring wardrobe. And to spend time with a Creator who treasures me.

Albert Einstein is credited with saying: “There are two ways to live life: as if everything is a miracle or as if nothing is.” I choose the first. And in doing so, I think I am fulfilling Jesus’ proclamation that to enter His kingdom, you must come as a little child. A child empty of preconceived notions and agendas. A child filled with simple faith and awe at the beauty and majesty of God.

Link for The Piano Guys video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzF_y039slk

2 comments:

  1. As I sat here in my home office with my windows up, feeling the soft breeze, listening to the birds singing and enjoying watching the squirrels tease my dog, Oreo with their games of chase, I am thankful for the little things. The miracles of life, and the beauty of creation. I choose the first, too, Christie! Love your writings! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Peppi! Love you, too!

    ReplyDelete