Friday, June 15, 2018

A Promise is a Promise


“. . . I will never leave you nor forsake you” –Hebrews 13:5

Mom and Dad believed strongly in the importance of keeping your word, and the lessons they taught me and my sister started with deliberate decision-making. When one of us would ask them permission for something or ask them to do something for us, if they couldn’t 100% commit at the time we asked, they would tell us “maybe.” They never used the word as a cop-out, but as a placeholder to give them time to ponder and perhaps gather information about the people involved or the activity or the resources needed to make our wish come true. It was an important lesson for me about avoiding hasty decisions. 

Along with the “maybe,” my parents reinforced the idea that promises are sacred and should always be kept unless there is a legitimate reason to break them. The inspiration for this value came from God Himself who clearly takes our words seriously. In fact, early in my life they taught me the words of Ecclesiastes 5:4-5: “When you make a vow to God, do not delay to fulfill it. He has no pleasure in fools; fulfill your vow. It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it.” Because of my parents’ solid instruction, I learned that God is a God of His word. It is a truth that sustains me even when my feelings or circumstances try to tell me something different. So, when life’s challenges overwhelm me, I turn to God’s word and find a promise to reassure me. This week, God reminded me that no matter what, He will never leave me nor forsake me. No matter how awful my attitude. No matter how weak my faith. No matter how many mistakes I make or sins I commit. He is still faithful because He honors His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment