Sunday, December 9, 2018

A Season of Light

“We are waiting on the promise
For the One who lights the darkness
Bending low to be among us
Bring Your glory in the highest, Jesus”
-“Hope for Everyone” Matt Maher

At the time, traveling over 1,100 feet straight down under a mountain seemed like a good idea. Then I realized the only way out was the one ancient elevator that had just deposited me into a dark maze. As I glanced around the dim, stifling cavern, I felt a little panic bubble up into my chest. Since I’d already paid for this torture, though, I continued to follow my friend, our tour group, and the guide who had the only flashlight among us. As we wound through the caverns, our end goal was Ruby Falls, a beautiful 145-foot underground waterfall. To heighten the drama though before we actually rounded a corner to view the magnificent falls, the guides turned out all the lights. I’m not sure I have ever felt such oppressive darkness. It seemed as if I could feel the weight of every ounce of the tons of earth above me pressing down on my body. And the few seconds before they turned on the multicolored spotlights felt like an eternity. I might have oohed and aahed at the big reveal. I can’t remember. What I can remember is wanting to kiss the ground when I finally made it to the surface and back out into the sunlight.

Scripture talks about people who walk in darkness that is far more oppressive than what you can find in an underground cavern. It is a spiritual darkness that separates people from God and one another. But the prophet Isaiah proclaimed there would be a cure, that “[t]he people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of deep darkness a light has dawned.” (9:2) This Light dawned 2,000 years ago when Jesus was born in a stable in Bethlehem, an event marked by angel choirs and a mysterious star. In his gospel Matthew tells us, “After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.” (2:1-2) Some scholars believe the star that led the magi to Jesus was actually the Shekinah Glory, a manifestation of God’s presence like the one He used to guide Israel in the wilderness. Regardless of the true nature of the Christmas star, God used the unique celestial sign to underscore the fact that Jesus is indeed the “Light of the world.”  (John 8:12)

No comments:

Post a Comment