Thursday, December 19, 2013

I'm Expecting...

Each Christmas morning when I was a child, I would wake up early feeling giddy with expectation of what Santa had left under the tree for me and my sister. I remember creeping down the hall and tiptoeing into the den which had been transformed overnight into a mini toy store. But the delight I had as a child waiting on Santa cannot compare to the joy only Jesus brings as we celebrate Advent, the season of expectation. It is during Advent that we prepare to celebrate anew Christ’s birth.

For nine months, Mary waited for God’s promise to an entire nation to be fulfilled. She also waited for the special promises He gave to her alone. We wait, too. We wait for the Lord to return for His Second Coming. But waiting doesn’t mean doing nothing. Ask any expectant mother. It means preparing and so we prepare our hearts as a place for Christ to dwell.

I am expecting something wonderful to happen Christmas day. I’m not looking for a package marked:  “To: Christie, From: Santa.” Instead, I am waiting for God to renew my spirit and to fill my heart with the peace, love, and joy only He can give.

“Love came down at Christmas,
 Love all lovely, Love Divine,
 Love was born at Christmas,
 Star and Angels gave the sign.

Worship we the Godhead,
Love Incarnate, Love Divine,
Worship we our Jesus,
But wherewith for sacred sign?

Love shall be our token,
Love shall be yours and love be mine,
Love to God and all men,

Love for plea and gift and sign.”

 --Christina Rosetti

No comments:

Post a Comment