Monday, December 19, 2022

"The Little Drummer Boy"

My mom loved all things Christmas, but she especially loved Christmas music which she usually started playing at Halloween. Thanks to her influence, I also developed a deep love and appreciation for Christmas hymns and carols, but one of my least favorites has always been “Little Drummer Boy.” 

Last week during an advent worship service, though, these words from the song caught my attention: “I played my best for Him.” I have asked myself off and on all week whether I am giving Jesus my best this Advent season. And if I’m truthful, I haven’t been. I’ve been distracted by too many activities, focusing too much of my attention on the trappings of Christmas and not the Christ-child. 

Last week’s service helped to redirect my attention toward the Lord whose birth and sacrifice are the only true reason for this season. Yet I still question whether I gave Him my best this last week. I am hoping to be more aware, more present and more intentional about this as I enter into this last week of Advent 2022.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment