Tuesday, December 20, 2022

"What Child Is This?"

Growing up, my denomination did not emphasize Advent. The entire focus was on Christmas, both at church and at home, but as an adult I have come to appreciate the contemplative nature of the Advent season which affords me time to really reflect on who Jesus is and my relationship to Him.

The Christmas carol “What Child Is This?” challenges listeners to explore their own thoughts about the Christ-child before offering an answer filled with clarity and truth as it tells the story of Jesus’s life and encourages listeners to praise Him. The song encapsulates the entire message of the gospel while telling us plainly who Jesus was and is:

“Good Christians, fear, for sinners here

The silent Word is pleading.

Nails, spears shall pierce Him through,

the cross He bore for me, for you.

Hail, hail the Word made flesh,

the Babe, the Son of Mary.”

As Christmas approaches, I pray my heart will not only delight in images of the sweet baby Mary held in her arms in a dusty, smelly stable but that it will also hear the message that even in a manger in Bethlehem, Jesus was silently interceding for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment